Title The London Botanic Garden, Chelsea: plan view with a key describing several areas of the garden. Engraving.
Imprint London : [E. Cave], [1810]



Access Location Shelfmark Availability
 Online request  Closed stores Visual  Available
Physical description 1 print : engraving ; image and border 9.1 x 34.1 cm
Note Plate to: W. Salisbury, 'Plan of Mr Salisbury's botanic garden explained', The gentleman's magazine, 18 August 1810, vol. LXXX, part the second, pp. 1130114
Summary A private botanic garden in London originally laid out in locations near the later Waterloo station by William Curtis. According to the Survey of London, "in 1789 William Curtis, the author of Flora londinensis and the founder of The botanical magazine, took over from Rubergall as tenant and moved the botanical garden which he had opened in Lambeth in 1779 to this spot. The Brompton Botanic Garden, as it was known, covered about three and a half acres, almost exactly conforming to the area which is now occupied by the streets and houses on the hospital's estate, while the remaining four and a half acres to the north were used for experiments in agriculture. After Curtis's death in 1799 his partner William Salisbury kept the garden here until 1808 when he moved it to Sloane Street, Chelsea. He continued to use the ground at Brompton for a nursery, however, until 1829 when he was succeeded there by David Ramsay, whose establishment was known as the Queen's Elm or Swan Lane nursery." This plan shows the Sloane Street version under William Salisbury. He published it with an explanatory commentary in The gentleman's magazine, 1810
Cite as Wellcome Library no. 24754i
Lettering Plan of the London Botanic Garden. Gent. Mag. Aug. 1810, pl. II, p. 113
Author, etc. Salisbury, William, -1823.
Subject name London Botanic Garden (Chelsea, London, England)
Genre/Technique Engravings.
Copy photo no. L 9676
V 14721
System no. .b11826034
Record no. 24754i