Title Claybury Asylum, Woodford, Essex: a dining room (?). Photograph by the London & County Photographic Co., [1893?].
Imprint Bromley, Kent : London & County Photographic Co., [1893?]


Access Location Shelfmark Availability
 Online request  Closed stores Iconographic  Available
Physical description 1 photograph : photoprint, albumen ; sheet 15.1 x 20.5 cm + album (bound in green buckram with gold lettering)
Summary Contained in an album of photographs showing: 1. the Chapel; 2. the Recreation Hall; 3. a linen room; 4. a kitchen; 5. a ward; 6. a nurses' day-room (?); 7. another nurses' day-room (?); 8. dining room; 9. a social room; 10. group portrait of nurses; 11. group portrait of six members of staff; 12. ironing room
Claybury Asylum was commissioned by the Middlesex Court of Magistrates in 1887, as the fourth Middlesex County Asylum. The architect was George Thomas Hine (1841-1916), a specialist in designing asylums for the insane. In 1889 the uncompleted building passed to the newly created London County Council which opened it in 1893. From 1893 to 1918 it was called Claybury Asylum, from 1918 to 1937 Claybury Mental Hospital, and from 1937 to its closure in 1995 Claybury Hospital
Cite as Wellcome Library no. 43463i
Lettering Souvenir ; LPC
Author, etc. London & County Photographic Co.
Subject name Claybury Asylum (Woodford, England)
Topic-LCSH Psychiatric hospitals.
Cage birds.
Genre/Technique Albumen prints.
Copy photo no. L 27373
System no. .b12012762
Record no. 43463i